BEING ARRESTED FOR BEING TOO TALL NEAR LONDON TOWNE

FROM THE GUARDIAN

DISCUSSION OF THIS STORY ON THE LONDON FORUMS AT SLEEPNEWYORK

Photographer Alex Turner has been arrested by Kent police for being "too tall" in an action which must cast further doubt on the collective sanity of Kent Police and which also suggests that some police forces are now really behaving as if we lived in police state, a phrase that I have been reluctant to use.

...Turner gives a full account of being stopped by two men in Chatham High Street, after he took a picture of a fish bar called Mick's Plaice, which stands between Specsavers and a shop called Mr Flower and advertises jacket potatoes and an all day breakfast in a colour scheme of bold blue and white. The men said they worked for Medway Council.

"Whilst sharing their views about the threat of terrorism officer xxxxx [name redacted] stated she had felt threatened by me when I took her picture. I cannot recall exactly what she said but I do recall her referring to my size and implying she found it intimidating at the time (I am 5ft 11in and weigh about 12 stone)."